Down at the waterfront we offer a range of activities, such as swimming, diving, tubing, and fishing. Our goals are to
- Help children, adolescents and staff members improve swimming and boating skills in a safe and happy environment
- Provide water recreation and make it enjoyable
- Ensure swimmers are comfortable in the water and respectful of the risks water presents without being fearful
- Provide a safe and fun environment in all water activities
- Follow Red Cross standards for swimming levels
- Follow safety standards established by the American Camping Association
As with all of our activities, our Waterfront is run by certified instructors. Certified lifeguards are on duty at all swimming times.
Canoeing & Kayaking
Our goal is to have the most possible fun while increasing campers' skill sets and building confidence and proficiency on the water. Our instructors are well-trained and enthusiastic about their work. We play kayak polo, run water obstacle courses, and teach and practice skills such as wet exits and rolling, all in a safe and fun environment. While most of our small craft activity occurs on our twenty acre pond, we do aim to take our advanced paddlers on one moving water kayaking trip each session.
Camp Sangamon's sailing program is comprised of small pond sailing in Lasers, and regular trips to the lower Lake Champlain area on a J-24.
Campers are taught the basics of sailing and have a chance to get behind the tiller themselves. It’s also a great opportunity for a swim in the Vermont’s nearly great lake!